Buttermilk Brown Sugar Meatloaf - This Working Title is Not Working for Me

I am still working on a name for this video recipe as the title sounds a little too desserty. If you have any ideas, feel free to comment. I usually like to include the main ingredients in the name, but maybe in this case I should have just gone with "JJ's Magic Meatloaf," or "Mitz-a-loaf."

I had some leftover buttermilk in the fridge and I wondered what would happen if used it to replaced the milk in my meatloaf recipe. I know you've read my various posts on buttermilk's delicious, tenderizing effects on meat, so at least my idea had some proven food science behind it. So, I decided to go for it, and was very happy with the results.

This meatloaf recipe is very flavorful, and as the proverbial description goes, "melts in your mouth." As far as vegetables, I only used onions, but their sweetness, along with the simple brown sugar glaze were a great counterpoint to the others flavors.

Even if you don't use this exact recipe, you should try your own famous meatloaf recipe with buttermilk. Its effects were subtle, but noticeable. Enjoy!



Ingredients:
2 1/2 lb ground chuck
1 onion, diced
2 tbsp butter
1/2 tsp dried tarragon
1/2 tsp dried Italian herbs
1 tsp black pepper
2 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup ketchup
3/4 cup buttermilk
2 eggs
1 cup plain breadcrumb
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp hot sauce
Glaze:
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp Dijon
1 tsp cider vinegar

No comments:

Post a Comment