Country Ham and Split Pea Soup - It's Been a Long Time Coming

I can't remember the last time I made ham and split pea soup. It's probably been 10 years, which is remarkable since it's my favorite cool weather soup. I just don’t understand why I haven’t made it in so long.

I've made bean soup, lentil soup, rice soup, and potato soup dozens of times each over the last decade, but not split pea.

I've had leftover ham around countless times. I've ordered it in restaurants, so it's not like I forgot it existed. I'm sure I've even warmed up a can or two of Progresso at home, but making a batch never crossed my mind. It's a soup mystery that now consumes me; which is very ironic if you think about it.

Anyway, the important thing is that I made it, and it was everything I remembered homemade ham and split pea to be - a hearty, soul-warming bowl of dull green brilliance. No matter how often you make it, this has to be on everyone's top 10 soups of all-time list. Enjoy!




Ingredients:
2 tbsp butter
1/2 onion, diced
2 ribs celery, diced
3 cloves sliced garlic
1 lb diced ham
1 lb split peas
1 quart chicken stock
2 1/2 cups water
1 bay leaf
salt and pepper to taste

No comments:

Post a Comment