Cooking Grass-Fed Beef: Episode 3 – Rib Eye Steak "Steakhouse" Style

This video recipe for Rib Eye Steak "Steakhouse" Style is the third in the series of videos I'm doing that focus on cooking various cuts of grass-fed beef. As usual, this beef came from my friends at Normanton Farms.

The rib eye is most steak lovers' favorite cut. A fatty and flavorful steak that can be pan-seared, broiled, or gri
lled with equally delicious results. I called the video Steakhouse Steak because I'm showing two classic steakhouse techniques; a traditional dry-rub seasoning blend, and a flavored butter called a "beurre maitre d' hotel."

I'm doing a very simple garlic and parsley butter, but a "hotel butter," (aka compound butter) can be made with just about anything. They often contain shallots, vinegar, other herbs, and are often fortified with salt and pepper. I just left mine plain since I was serving it on a very well seasoned piece of rib eye.

Speaking of seasoning; I joked about this seasoning blend being a "secret," but this is a well-known steakhouse standard. The funny thing is, very few home cooks bother to use a rub like this and then wonder why the steaks at Ponderosa Pete's House of Beef taste so much better.

As usual I remind the viewers that grass fed beef is lower in fat, cooks faster, and can dry out if over-cooked. I only cooked mine for 3 minutes per side and was rewarded with a juicy, flavorful steak. Adjust as you see fit. Enjoy!



Seasoning Ingredients:
2 tsp kosher salt
2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp paprika

Hotel Butter Ingredients:
4 tbsp butter
1 tbsp fresh chopped Italian parsley
1/2 to 1 clove garlic, crushed fine
salt and pepper optional

No comments:

Post a Comment