Savory Gorgonzola Bread Pudding – A Cure for the Steak Side Dish Blues

I'm calling this savory Gorgonzola bread pudding because that's what they called it at the restaurant I stole the idea from. Hey, that's the least I can do.

By the way, that restaurant would be 2223 Market, San Francisco, and when I saw it sitting there next to my grilled rib eye, I knew it was only a matter of time before it made its way on to the blog.

If you’re afraid to call it a savory "bread pudding" because it sounds a little too desserty, then at least do me a favor and call it a dressing, and not a stuffing. You know I'm no fundamentalist, but I've decided that for something to be called a stuffing, it actually needs to be stuffed into something.

No matter the name, this should make for a welcome respite from the usual side dish rotation. Maybe it's because the meat is so expensive, but I find cooks get very conservative when it comes to choosing accompaniments for a steak dinner. No one ever got in trouble serving a baked potato, but sometimes you have to take a chance, and this would be a bold, and I predict, well-received choice.

As far as the recipe goes, it's quite straightforward, and I pretty much cover all the variables in the video. You may wonder where the garlic is, which is a damn good question. Since I was going to serve the steaks with a garlicky sauce, I decided to show a little restraint.

Speaking of restraint, be careful with the Gorgonzola. The only real way to mess this recipe up would be to overdo it on the cheese. Gorgonzola is about as subtle as a frying pan to the forehead. Also, don't pack your ramekins too firmly. The only thing I like better than nooks, are crannies, and you want lots of both here to provide the surface area for a nice crunchy top. Enjoy!




Savory Gorgonzola Bread Pudding Ingredients:
(for four 5-6 oz ramekins)
2 tablespoons butter, divided
1/2 onion, diced
pinch of salt
freshly ground black pepper to taste
4 cups cubed bread
1 cup chicken stock
1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
1/4 cup cream
1 oz (about 2 tablespoons) Gorgonzola, or other blue cheese

No comments:

Post a Comment