Whole Wheat Tortilla Chorizo Scramble – An Experiment in Hiding High-Fiber

Contrary to popular belief, I really do eat a fairly healthy diet. I know, it doesn't look like it from some of the video recipes I post, but as the old line goes, who are you going to believe, your eyes or me?

I only film a fraction of what I cook, and when I'm not eating candied bacon or inside-out grilled cheese sandwiches, I try to enjoy a diverse array of healthful foods.

One item I include in this selection is high-fiber (really high), whole wheat tortillas. I usually use them for quesadillas, or to wrap up sliced meats for a quick and easy lunch. Sure they taste horrible, but at least the texture is nasty. But, I've seen and read all the evidence for the advantages of getting enough fiber, so I'm always looking for a slightly less disgusting way to choke them down.

This chilaquiles-inspired tortilla chorizo scramble is a great example. I thought that by crisping them up with the pungent chorizo, and enveloping them in scrambled eggs and cheese, they would go from unappetizing to tolerable.

Did I get there? Sort of. This was one of those dishes that I would never describe as delicious, but it wasn't unpleasant either. It was, what it was – a filling, high-fiber, fast and easy breakfast. So, instead of the usual, "enjoy!" I'll simply end with, "enjoy?"




Ingredients for 2 Portions of Whole Wheat Tortilla Chorizo Scramble:
2 high-fiber, whole wheat tortillas, cut in 1/2-inch strips
2 oz of diced, dried chorizo
4 eggs
2 slices pepper jack cheese
salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
fresh chives to garnish

No comments:

Post a Comment