Rhubarb Crisp – Worth Fighting For

While I was making this delicious rhubarb crisp, I had the baseball game on in the background. As I sliced the beautifully colored stalks, I wondered why, in old-school baseball lexicon, a fight between the two teams on the diamond became known as a "rhubarb?"

I would be lying if I told you I've spent a lot of time searching for an answer, but a couple times a season I'll hear the broadcaster use the term, and I'll wonder to myself, "why rhubarb?" If you know, please pass it along so I can check this off my list of useless mysteries to solve before I die.

It's on there along with, "where are all the baby pigeons?" and "why doesn't San Francisco have any good radio stations?"

If you've never tried rhubarb before, this is the recipe for you. The sweet, crisp topping taking the edge off the tart, tangy fruit – both benefiting from a creamy scoop of vanilla ice cream – this is a great, old-fashion American dessert.

I don't know why such a great ingredient is so under-used, sure the leaves are poisonous, but that doesn't stop us from eating other foods. I think we have a tough time with fruits you can't eat raw. You can’t snap off a rib of rhubarb in the garden and chomp away while watering the roses.

Who knows? But, what I do know is if you're looking for a great summery dessert that's supper easy, and a little unusual, you'll want to give this a try. Just make sure you make enough to go around.

You don’t want your guests getting into a fight over the last piece. Nothing wrecks a nice relaxing summer meal like a rhubarb rhubarb. Enjoy!



Ingredients:
3 large ribs rhubarb, diced (about 4 cups)
1 cup fresh strawberries, halved
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp lemon zest
For the topping:
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup whole wheat, or all-purpose flour
1/2 cup oatmeal
1/4 tsp salt
dash of cinnamon
4 tbsp cold butter, diced
vanilla ice cream

No comments:

Post a Comment